I love the tradition of Thanksgiving. I love that families gather at one house and are there all day. I love that every year we eat the same thing, its a constant. I could never get tired of this meal, it reminds me of home and my family. That one day where you sit back and realize that you do have many things to be thankful for and that my mom is a great cook.
I can remember growing up and my brother and I would get so excited about Thanksgiving. The one side dish that we never ate other than Christmas was Special Broccoli Cheese Casserole. My mom would usually make two of them, one for Trey and I and one for the rest to share. I am not sure what it is about this dish that makes my mouth water when I think about it. One year we joked and told my brother there was no SBCC, I thought he was going to cry. Literally cry, real tears, it appeared that Thanksgiving had been ruined. We had other yummy things, smoked turkey, sweet potatoe casserole, but this casserole is like dessert. It's your favorite, so you save it until the end. I make it for our Thanksgiving table and have for the last 6 years. My husband grew up eating the traditional Green Bean Casserole, we didn't. I don't remember it ever being served, we had something better. It's an easy dish to make, why we only eat it on those two holidays I will never know. I did make it once outside of the allotted time, but it wasn't the same. It didn't have that excitement and mouth watering appeal it usually does.
Thank you mom for getting me to eat broccoli, smothered in cheesy goodness! Long live all of our family traditions, after all that is what Thanksgiving means to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment